I’m making a real effort to save money on groceries by shopping my kitchen, cooking from scratch, meal planning, and eventually monthly batch cooking, so finding recipes that allow me to test those frugal practices out is a must. With so many changes on the horizon, I have to get my grocery game together to save time and money for my family. Yesterday, I made a vegetarian breakfast bake and some pizza sauce (they were not eaten together 🙂 ). These two recipes were on my meal plan for the week and since I already had everything I needed, I didn’t spend any extra money on making them. That’s what I’m talking ’bout!
Unfortunately, the kids weren’t feeling the breakfast bake, but I’m not surprised because they’re not egg lovers. However my husband and I were in heaven. I had no issues with the pizza sauce though; everyone ate it up! I want to start making pizza dough eventually, so finding a yummy and easy to make pizza sauce was a must. I’ll definitely be making both of these recipes for years to come!
Note: I eyeball most of the ingredients, so please adjust to fit your tastes.
Vegetarian Breakfast Bake
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 1/2 organic red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 organic green pepper, sliced
- 4 small organic potatoes, diced (I used white potatoes.)
- 1/2 cup lactose-free cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all ingredients (except the cheese) to a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Pour mixture into greased pan. (I used a square cake pan.)
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes.
- Cut in squares and serve.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 10 oz. can of diced diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 6 oz. can of organic tomato paste
- 1/3 15 oz. can of organic tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup of organic Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Mix all ingredients in sauce pan.
- Heat mixture on stove, stirring frequently
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add to pizza dough, English muffins, or wherever as desired.