Welcome to What’s Up Wednesday’s!
What’s Up Wednesday’s is a new way of sharing what’s going on with us, as well as some of the goodness I find in these internet streets. Hope you enjoy!
Be sure to subscribe to receive notification of each new post. We post every Wednesday and Sunday.
Note: Some of the products mentioned below are linked via an affiliate link. This is to support my blogging efforts and does not cost you any additional money. Thanks in advance for any purchases you make!
What We’re Reading
We took a trip to the library and got a good bunch of books for the next few weeks. Here’s what’s on deck.
Family Read Alouds
- Zane and the Hurricane – A Story of Hurricane Katrina by Rodman Philbrick (current read aloud)
- Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
Brandon, age 8
- Time Soldiers – Rex (Book 1) by Kathleen Duey
- The Friendship by Mildred D. Taylor
- The Body Book for Boys by Jonahan Mar and Grace Norwich (He and I will read this together.)
- The Science of Hurricanes by Angela Royston
- Inside Lightning by Melisa Stewart
- Isaac Newton and Gravity by Steve Parker
- Thundering Landslides by Louise and Richard Spilsbury
- Earthquakes by Seymour Simon
Zachary, age 4 and Ariyah, age 1
- The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger
- Little Explorers Outer Space by Ruth Martin and Allan Sanders
- Violet’s Music by Angela Johnson
- Lottie Paris and the Best Place by Angela Johnson
- Clementine in the City by Jessie Hartland
- Jeff Gordon by Michael Bradley
- Henry Climbs a Mountain by D.B. Johnson
- Henry Builds a Cabin by D.B. Johnson
- Autumn Leaves Fall from the Trees by Lisa Bell (Came with a CD)
- Good Night, I Love You by Caroline Jayne Church
What We’re Watching
We watched this mini-doc on toys and the people who make them and think they have a pretty sweet job.
We got some videos from the library, too. We’ll watch most of them together this week.
- Inventors of the World – The Wright Brothers
- Disney Nature – Earth
- Phonics 4 Babies – Baby’s First Words
- Eyewitness – Dinosaur
- Signing Time – Practice Time 123s
- Magic Tricks Fast & Easy for Kids & Adults Volume One
- Weather Fundamentals – Hurricanes & Tornadoes (not available on Amazon)
- Popular Mechanics for Kids – Radical Rockets and Other Cool Cruising Machines
What I’m Loving Right Now
Home Education Council of America‘s 12th annual Not Back to School Summit began this past Monday, 9-12 and runs through 9-23. It features dozens of speakers giving free online live sessions for FREE! Here is the schedule of speakers and workshops. There’s still time to register so do so today!
Last year, my oldest son attended nature camp at the new-and-improved Belle Isle Nature Zoo and he still talks about the things he did and learned there. Since then, I’ve kept up with the happening at the Zoo and have loved watching its progress. Recently, they opened a natural playground area for the children to jump on logs, play with loose, natural items, and much more. We haven’t been yet, but hope to go before it gets too cold.
The team behind Duck Duck Moose have joined forces with Khan Academy to provide all 21 of their award-winning preschool educational apps for FREE to families around the world. In their words, “We’ve always been a mission-driven team, and decided to join Khan Academy because it gives us the greatest opportunity to impact children globally and provide universal access to education.” How cool is that? The apps are available through both iTunes and Google Play.
We found a Little Free Library at the place where Zach is taking a class and grabbed four books that look pretty good. Not sure when we’ll read them, but they’ll be on the shelf when we’re ready.
- Julian, Dream Doctor by Ann Cameron
- Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel
- Five Minute Nursery Tales by Derek Hall, Alison Morris, and Louisa Somerville
- The Big Book of Questions and Answers
Favorite Picture of the Week
Thanks for reading, and I’ll talk to you next week, friends!